Born in Belfast in 1920, Daniel O'Neill began painting in the early 1940's, whilst working night shifts as an electrician. He was largely self-taught, although he briefly attended Belfast College of Art. His first exhibition was held in 1941 at the Mol Gallery in Belfast. In 1945 he received a gallery contract from Dublin art dealer, Victor Waddington which enabled him to turn to painting full-time and his first solo show was held there in 1946.
In 1949 O'Neill visited Paris where he was influenced by George Rouault, Maurice de Vlaminck and Maurice Utrillo and a number of works followed upon which his reputation was established.
In the 1950's he moved to Conlig, County Down, near to Bangor where this present work was painted. The move brought him in to contact with a group of artists including Gerard Dillon, George Campbell and Neville Johnson with whom he became friends and had a collaborative show. Over the next decade, O'Neill together with these artist friends exhibited abroad in group shows held in USA, London and Amsterdam. In 1952 a retrospective of his work was held at the Belfast Museum and Art Gallery which established him as one of Ireland's leading artists.
O'Neill's work is represented in many collections including the Ulster Museum, Queen's University Belfast and the Hugh Lane Municipal Gallery, Dublin.
Oil on canvas
Signed; inscribed with title verso
20 x 24 ins (50.8 x 61 cms)